It’s not about the feasibility of learning a foreign language on your own, it’s more about the other questions, like “Can I become fluent in Persian on my own?”, or “Can I improve and be fluent in my second language skills alone?”, and “Can I acquire the most important and necessary foreign language skills without anyone’s help?”.
But, the two most important questions you can ask yourself are to what extent you can actually learn a foreign language going at it alone, and whether you really want to do so. Learning a foreign language is supposed to be fun, not just useful. Let’s see if you can do it alone.
Best Farsi Learning Resource!
Can I learn Persian by myself?
You can and you can’t. Actually, we don’t mean to sound cryptic, philosophical, or just plain ostentatious with our deep knowledge of language learning. We’re trying to be as honest as possible with you, and you’ll see why.
Learning a new language is unlike learning anything else. For example, if you want to learn Physics, you sit behind your computer, you find equations, explanations, rules, and procedures, and you learn them. Then, you try to solve a question and see how it goes.
With language, it’s rather a different story. You can find all the grammar rules you want, all the tenses, peculiar adverbs, and interesting prepositions, learn them, and still fail at putting them to good use. Why is that?
In fact, it’s because language is a living and breathing thing. When learning a foreign language, you don’t simply learn the rules in order to know them, you learn the rules of the language in order to speak it or write it. And that’s a lot different than solving mathematical questions.
learning Persian on your own can only get you so far. You can learn این (this) and آن (that), probably take in the basics of communication, but for everything else, you need a teacher, a class, and classmates. This brings us to our next part.
- Read and Write Persian Language in 7 Days: A Workbook and Step-by-Step Guide
- Learn Farsi in 100 Days: The Ultimate Crash Course to Learning Farsi Fast
- Farsi Grammar in Use: For Beginners
- Farsi Grammar in Use: For intermediate students
- Farsi – English Dictionary: The Most Trusted Farsi – English Dictionary
- 200 Absolutely Essential Persian Verbs
How can I learn basic Persian?
Learning basic Persian does sound, well, basic, easy, and definitely something you can do from the comfort of your own home. But, there’s more to basic Persian. It is the foundation of all your later Persian-learning endeavors, and, as a foundation, it should be strong, sturdy and, most of all, correct.
A good Persian teacher will properly teach you all of the language basics you need, thus providing a solid base for what is to come.
However, if you still feel like you can master the basics of Persian on your own, we’ll do our best to help you on your path. Here are the most important aspects to pay attention to when beginning to learn a foreign language.
- Grammar is important – In the beginning, you have to know the basic Persian grammar rules, in order to know how you can construct a sentence.
- But don’t let it hamper your progress – It is important, but you’ll pick it up better along the way, and don’t let silly little Persian grammar mistakes slow your progress.
- Study every day – In fact, the best way to constantly improve is to nurture continuity and perseverance.
- A word a day – Learn a new piece of Persian vocabulary every day.
- Be active – And proactive. Everything you learn you should use, be it by writing or by speaking.
- The Internet is your friend – Browse the Internet every day, not just for free lessons and grammar tips, but for chatting, reading, listening to Persian music, and, why not, speaking.
- Immersion – Surround yourself with the Persian language. Change your smartphone language, use subtitles in Persian, and listen to music as much as possible.
- Keep at it – Please don’t stop just because you think you’re not making progress. You are, you just can’t see it on your own.
- Be brave – And try to use the Persian language as much as possible, no matter the mistakes.
- Find help – If it becomes too much, no shame in asking for any help.
by: Learn Persian Online Team about (category: Blog)